Department of Entertainment (Acting)
It has been a long felt necessity to align higher education with the emerging needs of the economy so as to ensure that the graduates of higher education system have adequate knowledge and skills for employment and entrepreneurship. The higher education system has to incorporate the requirements of various industries in its curriculum, in an innovative and flexible manner while developing a holistic and well groomed graduate.
Keeping in view the above mentioned goals and objectives of National Skills Qualifications Framework (NSQF) under UGC, Jagiroad College introduced Bachelor of Vocation (B.Voc.) in the sector of Entertainment with a specialization in Acting. Jagiroad College is the only College (so far) to initiate Acting as regular skill based course along with general education in entire North east India.
Entertainment- a growing trade!
Entertainment sector is one of the fastest growing sectors of our country and it is flourishing quickly. Entertainment sector is now accelerating India’s economy by providing largest opportunities of employment and appropriate knowledge application. Considering the area, Jagiroad, which is under tribal belt with a majority of culturally rich ethnic tribes such as Tiwa, Bodo, Karbi ctc. Jagiroad College introduced this course with intend to provide them an exposure and adequate knowledge, so that they can meet industry requirements, both at local and national level. At the same time they can be a part of the Global workforce.
Acting – Opportunities galore!
Within the entertainment sector, Acting is one of the most in demand skills. This profession provides a multitude of opportunities in different medium of entertainment, i.e. Stage, Film, Television and Radio. Assam as well as North-east has an abundance of talented actors. Due to lack of proper guidance and formal system of training, most of them remain clueless about pursuing a career in the field of their interest. Therefore, it is the need of the hour that the region should have formal courses to provide systematic training to raw but talented actors. Opportunities are now growing steadily with the advent of various regional entertainment channels. In Assam, the Mobile Theatre or the “Bhramyamaan Theatre” is a unique and thriving industry. There are over 50 Mobile Theatre groups and these provide great scope of employment for well trained actors. In the past, artists from North East found it difficult to access careers at a national level.However in recent years, the gap between regional artists of North–east and the National entertainment sector is gradually being reduced, thus boosting more opportunities for skilled Actors. Professionally trained actors have a much greater chance of bridging this gap, rather than untrained ones.
Facilities / Infrastructure:
- B. Voc department.
- Class rooms with Digital smart board.
- Practical Acting Studio cum Experimental Theatre.
- Theatre properties and set materials.
- Hostel facilities for boys and girls.
Activities and achievements:
- Participated in Gauhati University, Guwahati Youth Festival 2015 and adjudged 2nd best team in Skit competition. Skit: “O M Y”.
- Participated in “Alcheringa- National Cultural Festival 2016” of IIT Guwahati and won the 1st position in ‘Mute’, mime competition. Mime: “Oporajeyo”
- Participated and performed in “International Seminar on Holistic Education for a Better World” organized by Mahapurusha Srimanta Sankardeva Vishwavidyalay, Nagaon, Assam on 08th October 2015.
- Performed in Road safety awareness programme organized by Extension education cell, Jagiroad College, in association with administrative authority of Jagiroad at Lakhi Deka High Secondary School, Jagiroad on 04th November 2015.
- Performed a political satire and a mime with health awareness in Jagiroad College premises on 17th October 2015.
- Performed in fresher’s social cultural function 2015 of Jagiroad College.
- Performed a street play on election awareness at College premises in the presence of Deputy Commissioner, Morigaon District, on 15th March 2016 and at different places of Jagiroad on 9th April 2016 in connection with Assembly Election, Assam 2016.
- Performed a street play on the occasion of Anti Tobacco Day at various places of Morigaon District including Morigaon College, on 30th May 2016.
- Performed in a major theatrical production “Juvaraaz @ Kurukshetra Live” funded by Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India, in collaboration with industry partner New Age Actors’ Theatre-NAAT at Rabindra Bhawan, Guwahati in the presence of Honorable Governor of Assam, P.B. Acharya on 13th June 2016.
- Performed three Mime acts on the occasion of World Environment Day on 5th June 2016 at Hindustan Paper Mill, Nagaon.
- Participated and performed in inter college meet cultural Function at Koliyabor College, Nagaon on 21st March 2016.
- Participated in 3 days workshop, ‘Cinema North East’, on Film making and Film appreciation organized by Indigenous Action Network Assam in Association with Directorate of Film Festivals, Ministry of I& B, Govt. of India, at Jyoti Chitraban, Guwahati, Assam from 19th February to 26th February 2016.
- Participated in mime competition during Cinema North East at Jyoti Chitraban, Guwahati, Assam and students Bijit kumar Das won first prize while Debajit Deka won the third.
- Participated in ‘Workshop on Development of Soft skill’ organized by DDU Kaushal Kendra, Sonapur College.
- Theatrical performances by National and regional groups hosted by Department of Acting:
- “May be this summer” by Unicorn Actors’ Studio, New Delhi. Written and directed by Tripurari Sharma, Associate Professor, National School of Drama, New Delhi on 19th March 2016.
- “Smriti tar Sugandhi Pokhila & Mukhamukhi” by Surjya, Guwahati. Directed by Nayan Prasad on 14th June 2016.
- “A Soul Saga” by Sada Art Society, New Delhi. Directed by Danish Iqbal on 25th June 2016.
- Pride East Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. (Rang, News Live, Ramdhenu, Niyamiya Barta) : Regional media production house.
- Rengoni TV: Regional entertainment TV channel.
- New Age Actors’ Theatre – NAAT: A registered theatre group of Assam.
Mr. Manash Protim Neog ,PGD in Dramatics (NSD)
Assistant Professor (Contractual) ,HoD
Mr. Sanjeev Kr. Gohain ,M.A